Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Depth Needed?


There isn't a whole lot going on right now with the Green Bay Packers. We have done virtually nothing in free agency and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon. As I was sitting at my desk thinking about the NFL and the Pack, I found myself looking back to the 2008 season and one glaring question jumped out at me...what will happen to the Packers if Aaron Rodgers has a season ending injury like Tom Brady did? I think that if that happened, we would be in serious trouble.


This season Rodgers got banged up a little and we got a glimpse of our depth at QB, and it wasn't pretty. Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm, both were drafted last season and neither seems to be able to through worth a damn. I have a feeling that if we needed to rely on one of them, we had might as well call it a season. So my question is this: why don't we pick up a decent back up QB in free agency? I'm not saying that we need to spend a lot of money and pick up an all-star or anything, just a decent back up. There are some guys out there who would be perfect candidates; guys who may not lead us to a Super Bowl, but guys who can at least throw the ball. Jeff Garcia is still a free agent, so are Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman and Kyle Boller. All of these players have experience as starters in the NFL, and they would all be quality back ups who could provide some security should we need it. I think of it in the same way as owning a gun; its better to have one and never need to use it, than to need one and not have one.
P.S. You have to love a QB who can pull of a moustache! I just couldn't resist using this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment